Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Health Care in Ecuador

One concern many have is what is it like if I get sick or need something medical in Ecuador. Well have no fear, here are a few examples of health care here. And Heidi probably already wrote about some of it so sorry if I'm repeating.

First let me say, if you need dental work come here for it. I finally made a visit to a dentist that had been recommended to us. When I called to make the appointment I thought I was going to struggle explaining what I needed, funny thing was the dentist answered in English. On my first visit I had a cleaning and 1 cavity filled. I have had both those procedures done back home but will say this was my best experience. I have found that some dentist back home can be quite rough but this guy was great and there was no need for freezing and no bleeding either. Cost was 50$. I had to go get an X-ray for the dentist cost was 20$ and I was given the results. I had a follow up appointment to remove a tooth that I broke about 8 years ago(hence the X-Ray). This tooth was broken below the gum line and badly abscessed. It took him 20 mins to remove it and I was fine by that afternoon. Again the cost was 30$. Last tooth I had pulled cost me over 150$. Lastly I need 4 wisdom teeth removed next week. Back home the cost to me even with insurance is 1500$ here my cost will be 120$ maybe 150 as one tooth is impacted.

What about doctors. Well if you've ever had a blood test how long did it take to get the results? One maybe two weeks. Heidi went for blood test and had the full results in her hand in 5 hrs. Everything she needed and wanted to know and they gave her the results not the doctor. Next she went to a cardiologist and he gave her the results instantly. Cost for both visits 80$. No three hour wait in the waiting room. No we'll call in two weeks, everything instant. Health care here is not something to be concerned about. Pricing is good. Doctors are good and many speak or understand English as they are expected to learn it in University.

BTW it is our half way point here. So in one of my next blogs I will write about the pro's and con's and see who those change between now and when we leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment